Where did the newspapers go?

In mid-March we sent bound issues of the Southwest Virginia Enterprise off to the Library of Virginia to be microfilmed and digitized.   Two sets of papers went off to Richmond with Errol Somay, director of the Virginia Newspaper Project, one dating 1871 to 1881 and the other 1912 to 1923.

The earliest papers date from April 1870 to 1881 and were donated by Dr. W. R. Chitwood. 

These papers were actually bound in Richmond in the 1870s by W. E. Simon and Brother, Blank Book Manufacturers and Bookbinders.  The bindings are still in great shape and they will be retained after microfilming and digitization.  These Southwest Virginia Enterprise issues are rarity because of their complete coverage of this time period.  Southwest Virginia has few extant papers with such complete coverage in the 1870s.   Virginia Newspaper Project staff microfilmed much of our newspaper collection several years ago and we are thrilled they are helping us to preserve and share these issues!  The papers will be available for interlibrary loan and perhaps digitized as part of the Chronicling America: Virginia initiative.  Check this great resource at http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/newspapers/virginia/ .

Here are some photographs of the newspapers and our newspaper storage area:

This entry was posted in microfilm, newspapers, preservation and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.